Frogs are amphibians which means that they are cold blooded and can live on land and water. Frogs start their lives as eggs and then tadpoles in water. As tadpoles they have gills. When they develop into frogs they can live on land as well as water but they still need water to drink and to help them cool off.
In this song there are 5 green & speckled frogs sitting on a speckled log. One at a time, 1 frog jumps into the pool to cool off. The song teaches the math concept of subtraction - starting with 5 and taking 1 away each time until there are no more frogs sitting on the log. Kids love to sit on their pretend logs and then jump into the pretend pool as they sing along. They can also use their fingers on one hands to count down from 5 frogs to zero frogs!
UNITS: This song is a great accompaniment to lessons on frogs (amphibians), math (subtraction) and physical education (jumping).
INSTRUMENTS THAT YOU'LL HEAR IN THE SONG:
ADAM FALCON vocals and resonator guitar
TONY TINO electric bass
MICHAEL MANCINI piano and keyboard
RAY LEVIER drums
ALICE LEON backup vocs
JEFFREY FRIEDBERG banjo
Order your copy!
"5 Green & Speckled Frogs" - guitar lesson
1. Start song and have children sit on pretend log and hold up 5 fingers
2. Immediately following "eating some most delicious grubs" children rub bellies and say "yum yum" along with singers
3. On "one jumped into the pool" have children jump up from pretend log
4. On "now there are..." have children hold subtract 1 finger and hold up number of fingers that corresponds to next verse in song
5. Immediately following "now there are 4 (3, 2, & 1 as well) green and speckled frogs" children sing "grub grub"
6. At end of song children hold fingers to thumb to show "zero"
3 chords are used for this version of 5 Green & Speckled Frogs. Give it a whirl!
Note - we've heard different versions of this song - some say "grubs" and some say "bugs". We chose "grubs" for this version but you are welcome to sing the insect of your choice!
"5 green and speckled frogs
sat on a speckled log
eating some most delicious grubs
1 jumped into the pool
Where it was nice and cool
Now that are 4 green and speckled frogs
4 green and...
3 green and...
2 green and...
1 green and...
...now there are
no more green and speckled frogs